General Recording Requirements
Listed below are the general requirements for recording documents in the Register of Deeds Office. If the filing requirements are not met, the document could be rejected, which will delay processing time.
- Submit an original or certified copy. We do not accept photocopies.
- The document should be signed and names typed or printed under all signatures. An additional fee of $1 per document will be charged (K.S.A. 28-115) if the names are not typed or printed under the signatures.
- The document should be properly notarized with the witnessing or attesting a signature Acknowledgement, (K.S.A. 58-2211).
- Include a complete legal description on the document if it pertains to land records. DO NOT USE THE ABBREVIATED LEGAL DESCRIPTION FROM THE COUNTY WEB SITE OR TAX STATEMENTS.
- The document should be of sufficient legibility to produce a clear reproduction.
- Must have a 3” margin at the top on the 1st page, this entire area should be blank for recording information. If not, a cover sheet will be added in accordance with K.S.A 25-115(e).
- Payment can be made by cash, check, or credit card payable to the Register of Deeds.
- Filing fees are required at the time of recording and are set by state statute. For more information, see the FEE SCHEDULE
- Name and marital status of grantor
Generally, when recording a deed or an affidavit of equitable interest, a Kansas Real Estate Sales Validation Questionnaire is required. If the transaction is not a sale, then the applicable exemption must be stated on the document being recorded, and the name and address for tax statements included.
- Mortgage registration tax and Mortgage Registration Fee Affidavits are no longer required in our office. The statute was repealed 1/1/2019.
- A Modification of Mortgage must reference the book and page or document number of the mortgage being modified.
If applicable, include a completed Mortgage Cap Affidavit (charged as an additional page)
Mortgage Releases & Assignments
- Referenced book and page number or document number must be correct
- Must be a certified copy from the state
This office does not reproduce copies of death certificates, please contact the Kansas Department of Health and Environment - Office of Vital Statistics for copies.