Boat Registration

ATTENTION: If you are registering a new boat, or transferring a boat you MUST have a photo or pencil tracing of Hull Identification Number. As Per the Coast Guard.

Boat Registration

 All boats powered by - gasoline, diesel, electric, or sail, must be registered and numbered. Sailboards and personal watercraft are considered boats.
 Non-residents using motorboats and sailing boats that are properly registered in another state may use their boats for up to 60 consecutive days without registering their boats in Kansas. Both in-state and out-of-state boats must have their Certificate of Number on board at all times. Boats that are required to be registered must be properly registered before they are operated.

  • Cost for new boat registration is $42.50

Information Required to Register Your Boat

  • Bill of sale (if purchased from an individual)
  • ** A Statement of fact can be filled out at the office if you do not have a bill of sale **
  • Proof of sales tax paid (if purchased from a dealer)
  • Registration numbers from boat - KA number (if boat was previously registered)
  • Hull Identification number on all boats built in 1972 or later* (see below)

*(Please note that the US Coast Guard is asking States to verify the Hull Identification Number (HIN) on vessels being registered in Kansas. For KDWPT to comply, we are asking for a photo or pencil tracing of the HIN to be submitted with registration paperwork for a New or Transfer Application. Vessels manufactured before 1973 often do not have a HIN, so KDWPT will assign one if necessary)

Hull Identification numbers (HIN) are typically located:

  • On sport and fishing boats, they can be found on the back right outside corner.
  • On pontoons, they can be found on the right side of the frame above the pontoon, but below the deck.
  • On personal watercrafts, they can be found under the seat a well as on the lip of the footrest.


Renewals can be done at our office for a fee of $42.50.