Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the minimum amount of land which I can build my house upon?

A. Three acres to build a new home (Prior to a land purchase it is best if you visit our office to make certain you have a legal parcel to build on. We can advise you on the best acreage options to suit your needs.).

Q. Can I wire & plumb my own home?

A. Yes

Q. What about placing a manufactured home on a property if it is less than 22 feet wide?

A. It is best to check with the Zoning Administrator prior to purchasing a manufactured or mobile home.

Q. I need a 9-1-1 address for my electric service, who gives me that?

A. The Zoning Administrator will give you your address when you obtain a building permit.

Q. Do I have to have a zoning (building) permit, & what do they cost?

A. All new construction in the county must have a building permit.
  • Residential $150
  • Room Addition $50
  • Accessory Building $50 per 1,000 square feet
  • Commercial: $50 per 1,000 square feet

Q. Who do I contact for a culvert?

A. Either the County Highway or the Township Board, depending on who does the maintenance of the road.

Q. What is zoning and why is the county zoned?

A. Zoning is the classification of land into districts, the purpose of which is to protect the existing citizens and property. It is the planning of the county, it is designed to protect and promote the health, safety and general welfare of the public.

Q. How many zoning districts are there?

  • "AG-80" Agricultural District - 80 Acre
  • "AG-40" Agricultural District - 40 Acre
  • "RR" Rural Residential District
  • "SR" Suburban Residential District
  • "R-1" Single-Family Residential District
  • "LL" Single-Family Lake Lot Residential District
  • "SS" Sand Springs Residential District
  • "RB" Red Bud Lake Residential District
  • "V-1" Village District
  • "AO" Airport Overlay District
  • "FP" Floodplain District
  • "FRD" Floodwater Retarding Dam Breach Impact District

Q. How do I find out what my property is zoned as?

A. There are maps in the Zoning Office located in the County Courthouse. You may view these maps from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday, or you may call the Zoning Office at 785-263-4464 and request this information. The current land owner's name and any address description will help us find the information you need.

Q. How do I know what I can or cannot do on this property?

A. Call the Zoning Office at, 785-263-4464.

Q. How do I apply for a zoning change?

A. Paperwork is available in the Zoning Office, and the administrator can explain the procedures.

Q. How much does rezoning cost, & how long does it take to get the zoning changed?

A. The cost of rezoning a piece of property will run about $200. It will take approximately 60 days to change the zoning.

Q. What other kinds of permits are required to build in Dickinson County?

A. Wastewater permit. Please contact the Environmental Services Office for details of what you need to do. They are located at 2363 Jeep Road (The Transfer Station) and their number is 785-263-4780.

Q. What about drinking water? Who drills wells or how do I get on rural or city water?

A. Please contact Environment Services. The Zoning Administrator has access to maps indicating the boundaries of the Rural Water Districts, then you must contact each individual district if you wish to find out the possibilities of getting a meter for your property. Wells must be drilled by a certified well driller.

Q. Is the property I am looking at in the flood plain or the floodway, & who can tell me about that?

A. Check with your Zoning Administrator / Floodplain Manager, to see if the land is on the FEMA maps. 

Q. What are county setbacks?

A. See Article 19 of the Adopted Zoning Regulations.